A few Monday thoughts:
1. Sundays are one of my favorite days now. I get to meet dozens of new people each week and introduce them to opportunities or next steps in their journey!
2. Unfortunately most times I don’t remember all of the people I meet each week!
3. Had a great conversation with a bank officer today about how God is in control of every detail in our lives. This same person showed incredible generosity to Cyndi and I three years ago when I lost my job. Details matter.
4. I miss leading and participating in community groups each week. Relationships are nurtured in community.
5. Despite a lot of current chatter on social media, people don’t want to be dependent on public assistance of most any kind. I work with dozens if not hundreds of people who want to work but can’t because there aren’t enough jobs their skill sets match.
6. Christmas on the Moon is one of my favorite services each year. We move our Christmas church service to The Moon – a local nightclub in Tallahassee. People who don’t want to go to a “church” will go to a nightclub! Why not share Jesus with them?
7. I wonder if anyone is actually persuaded to vote for a candidate because of a yard sign or a television commercial? I bet not.
8. I live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
9. My wife is my biggest supporter and encourager. I’m more than lucky she agreed to be my wife more than 30 years ago!
10. Divine opportunities are often overlooked. Mainly because we become self focused on don’t really look outside our own little worlds.
Several times a year we move the venue for our worship gatherings to places that can accommodate more people. For our Christmas service this past weekend, we moved to The Moon – a local nightclub. This allows us to share the gospel of Jesus with more than 1,500 people at a time!
Sunday morning at 6:00 a.m. around 75 volunteers met at The Moon to begin the cleaning and setup! Just a few hours earlier there were hundreds of people in the club smoking, dancing and having a great time. We transform the party scene to a worship scene in a few hours by mopping the floor, wiping every surface and chair and bar stool, vacuuming and doing our best to air it out before people begin arriving a few hours later to worship Jesus! It’s amazing the teamwork this group of believers demonstrates on that morning.
Around 11:00 a.m. people begin to arrive, music is playing, coffee is shared, smiles and nice conversations abound. The service begins at 11:30 with a great rendition of “Baby It’s Cold Outside”, followed by more traditional Christmas carols and then a powerful message about why we need Jesus. There was a standing room only crowd that day – people were standing four deep at the back of the club! At the conclusion of the service an invitation is given – an opportunity for people to acknowledge their need for Christ and to publicly announce their decision to follow Him. Dozens – yes dozens – of people accepted Christ as their personal savior that day! And that is why we do what we do – not so we’ll feel good about ourselves but to bring a message of hope to others and give them the opportunity to experience what we have in Jesus!
Here’s an example of how God was working Sunday – a young man walked outside to discuss with a counselor his decision to follow Christ. After talking and praying with the young man, he went back inside, got his friend and brought him outside to talk with a counselor and pray to accept Christ and talk about taking the step of baptism! How cool is that!?
By the way – the first young man who walked out – this was the first time he had ever heard the gospel in English!
So that’s how my family spent this past Sunday morning! I can’t wait to see what God has planned for all of us next!
Keep running towards Him!