Random thoughts today about the last few days:
1. I currently live in one of the most beautiful places on earth – Mexico Beach – and most of the people who live here don’t even take advantage of the beauty!
2. Watching and hearing the stories of life change never gets old! I love being part of a church that cares about people – City Church Tallahassee is for real!
3. Michael Mears is one of the most passionate speakers I know. His message about the gospel and our money was one of the best I have heard. Proud he is my friend and office mate!
4. People like Josh and Brandi Hignight are what make organizations succeed. Josh and Brandi have a three-week old son – Benjamin. They got up early Sunday and drove to Tallahassee so Josh could fulfill his duties as an usher at church. Not because he had to but because he wanted to do it. Love my friends!
5. My daughter ran not one but two 5K races this weekend. And she got 3rd place in her age group on Sunday! A year ago she wasn’t even running and in December she’ll participate in a half marathon. Proud Dad!
6. Amazed at the low-level of civility in political discourse today. In years past I would laugh at news clips from things happening in the British Parliament – we have become just like it in our lack of respect for each other – sad days.
7. Working to help displaced seafood workers in the Apalachicola Bay area is one of the most intense things I’ve done. People all over are hurting and just want someone to be an advocate for them. It’s not going to be an easy solution but hopefully there will be a lasting one in the days ahead.
8. Thanksgiving and Christmas are exciting times for us. We try to ramp up our giving to those less fortunate than we are at this time of year. We won’t have a big Thanksgiving dinner so we can give more to someone who doesn’t have one at all. We’ll find a way to spend some money and some time with people at Christmas who otherwise wouldn’t have anything. Kind of feel that’s what Jesus would want us to do.
Who know what the week will bring but I know I’ll be spending some evenings like this: