It’s been six weeks since we packed up everything we owned (ok it did take more than one trip) and moved from Inverness to Mexico Beach, Florida. May be one of the best moves we have ever made! Here are a few thoughts bouncing around:
1. Jonathan Merritt gave an amazing sermon at City Church Tallahassee on Sunday. Probably 900 people had the opportunity to hear him during the day and I’m sure others listened live on-line and/or will download the message from Itunes this week. To paraphrase some of his words – “To live as Jesus lived, we have to be present among those who need us.” “It’s not your vote that’s going to change the world, it’s your own hands.”
2. Loved have the opportunity to baptize my friend, Ryan Hachenberger on Sunday morning! Check out his blog, Florida Fowler, and you can see his baptism testimony online at City Church Tallahassee too!
3. I have a blast each week introducing people to City Church through our 101 opportunities (general questions about getting involved) and our monthly Ownership Experiences (taking a formal step of membership). People want to belong. People need to belong. Helping them find their next step is exciting – not everyone is at the same point in their journey and sometimes we just need some encouragement to get to the next spot!
4. Annual Parent’s Weekend at Florida State University this past weekend! Always a good time. Both of my children were/are in the Greek system at FSU. Totally different types of Parent’s Weekend celebrations! Meghan’s Phi Mu events were always a brunch or lunch type event that involved a social time followed by a meal. Very much a chance to show case the house and everyone had a chance to meet other parents/sisters, etc. Ethan’s Kappa Sigma events are more of a tailgate event. Food, beverages, bands, dancing, etc. Always a good time at both of them – just different!
5. One of the best things about our new location is the sunset. We have the opportunity every evening to walk along Florida’s Gulf Coast and enjoy the magnificent sunsets that take place. We actually do this about 3-4 times a week. What an incredible way to unwind and let any stress go away! Will post some of my views soon!
6. Starting the planning for another trip to Cartagena in August 2013! Excited about the opportunity to work beside our friend Alex Rocha there! Hopeful for the work that will be done.
7. Momma Goldberg’s sandwiches in Tallahassee are just as good as the original in Auburn, Alabama! The only difference is I eat them in the afternoon instead of 2 or 3 in the morning now!